Unsuccessful Theme Tweaks

Today I tried to tweak my static site's theme within TiddlyWiki so that the colors used in the backend editing interface carry over to the static site (using the variables from the theme system), which would allow me to quickly change colors based on switching themes in the backend.

Unfortunately, I couldn't seem to get the variables to carry over to the static site-rendered CSS. When I tried to generate the new file, the place where the variable's content should have been was empty. I poked around a bit more to try to figure out why this seems to work fine for the default tiddler templates, but I didn't figure it out. It seems like things need to be setup exactly so, otherwise they don't work.

... After yet more trying, I still haven't been able to figure it out. I suspect that there's some weird piping problem, but I've already spent too much time on this.

It's things like this that make using and modifying TiddlyWiki frustrating. There's tons of piping and transclusions, which forces you to go spelunking into the code (diving down many layers of transclusions) and requires you to really know things and pay attention to what's going on.


This all was mostly motivated by the beautiful TiddlyWiki theme "Gruvbox Pro".