Project: Comprehensive websites for YouTube content
Make sites for exploring YouTube videos backlogs
YouTube Monetization Requirements
Before you can join the YPP, you need to accomplish a few milestones first.
If you want to make money through fan funding, such as Super Chats, Super Thanks, channel memberships, and more, here are the minimum requirements to join the YPP:
- 500 subscribers
- Three public uploads in the last 90 days
- 3,000 public watch hours in the previous 12 months or 3 million public YouTube Shorts views in the last 90 days.
If you want to make money with video advertisements, here are the minimum requirements do that:
- 1,000 subscribers
- 4,000 hours of public watch time within a 12-month period or 10 million public YouTube Shorts views within a 90-day period.
Schedule to stay monetized
Post one video every 30 days, to keep up with monetization requirement of 3 video uploads in 90 days
- Technically this only matters once you’re eligible for YT monetization; you could try to “time” it right, by forecasting out how long it’ll take at current rates, but eh.
- Kinda lazier and less stressful (due to uncertainty) to go for the assumption that growth will just organically grow at the same rate. (Unprompted by more uploads, that is - like if your current rate is skewed by a recent upload driving more interest and activity. Using a rate from a period of inactivity might be more helpful.)
To be integrated
Much of the following relates to Content Creation
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/9884579?hl=en Video chapters info
“Sustainable” rates of viewership on YouTube given natural low levels, excepting periodic spikes, for monetization viability
- passive, organic watch time
Organic growth on YouTube refers to the process of increasing your channel’s viewership and subscribers without paying for ads. This can be done by creating and sharing high-quality content, using relevant keywords, and engaging with other users on the platform. https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/what-youtube-organic-growth-how-work-gobinda-chandra-paul
- I feel like some of this can still be too algorithm driven and algorithm reliant if it strongly leans on recommendations.
- inbounds and views from subscribers are likely the more reliable stats to think about, rather than from browse features and recommendations.
- browse features, might be listed differently from recommendations even though both involve a degree of recommendation: https://blog.audiencegrowers.com/browse-features-youtube-analytics/#:~:text=Browse%20Features%20is%20the%20traffic,your%20videos%20to%20potential%20viewers.
On YouTube post videos as that they’re “out of context”, in that they’re more intended to be viewed in context of something else - like seeing it embedded in or linked to from an article. This would let you worry less about needing to rehash all the context per video, which is quite time consuming to do versus just writing it up. Plus it doesn’t really help when the information isn’t visual (keeping with the idea of only using video for visually enriching the information and understandings that you wish to convey).
- honestly, more often than not video content on YouTube will be presented outside of a strictly relevant context (even when videos are suggested/recommended by the algorithm because of seemingly related keywords, it’ll likely be missing out on context (or have some degree of mismatch) that’d need to be provided manually via a link or full rehashing of the required context)
- I’d rather rehash context in text, as, at least there, it can be parsed by the audience quickly and I can reuse and move it around quickly and easily (without terribly advanced tools).
Discussion about focusing on monetization: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewTubers/comments/16qtdrl/monetization_is_cool_but_beware_it_can_be/
Good recommendations for smaller channels: https://youtu.be/A0DegpwfIco?si=03sJNP-gWPvTTohY
YT import of playlists: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewTubers/comments/yvwkqk/do_you_think_organizing_your_videos_into/
YT keeping track of files and metadata: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewTubers/comments/12l63jj/for_those_who_edit_how_do_you_organize_your/
- organizing and managing scripts: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewTubers/comments/12rgfat/how_do_you_write_organize_and_manage_your_scripts/
- information and research: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewTubers/comments/176uau9/how_do_you_guys_organize_and_collect_research/
Publishing first as unlisted then making it public posts update to followers as if newly posted: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewTubers/comments/17e4rtc/does_changing_a_video_from_unlisted_to_public/
YT companion site, discussion here: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewTubers/comments/vxk1d2/technical_content_companion_site/
YT multiple revenue streams: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewTubers/comments/aqlra3/youtube_is_one_of_the_greatest_opportunities_ever/
Yt’s system for listing playlists sucks, doesn’t go deep
Passively collecting yt subs, no particular mention of passive watch time: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewTubers/comments/1771is4/do_you_get_passive_subs/
Passive yt creators, for whom building a channel is secondary/low priority: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewTubers/comments/qc3lau/thank_you_passive_creators/
Issues with not gaining passive views, and ways to think about how to gain them: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewTubers/comments/ic02zk/why_dont_my_videos_gain_any_views_passively/
Ypp at risk of being revoked if fall below 4k hours watch time https://www.reddit.com/r/NewTubers/comments/15orc7d/my_demonetisation_experience/
It’d be nice if YT let you know what’s your kind of baseline view and watch hours per day were
YT as opportunity: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewTubers/comments/aqlra3/youtube_is_one_of_the_greatest_opportunities_ever/ YT for a career: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewTubers/comments/dl3t50/who_here_actually_wants_to_make_youtube_a_career/ Projecting performance you’d need to cover a current salary level: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewTubers/comments/dmmnej/i_currently_make_52272_a_year_i_want_to_quit_my/
YT metadata update manually or in bulk, compare to last modified date - for pushing updates to video description content in particular; tracked via a VCS
YT as a less professional, more personal outlet: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewTubers/comments/dl3t50/comment/f4muxac/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
Consider your goals for yt: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewTubers/comments/b40msq/reverse_engineer_your_goals/
Why the focus on adsense revenue? https://www.reddit.com/r/NewTubers/comments/12dcwua/why_so_many_focus_on_adsense_money_and_yt/
Lengthy YouTube videos (especially tutorials) without video chapters suuuuuck
YT rss feeds for playlist - do they always update with newest items added or just ones as top of playlist?
YT taxes for ypp earnings: https://www.reddit.com/r/PartneredYoutube/comments/17rgqzb/how_bad_are_taxes_at_the_end_of_the_year/
Use the inverted pyramid structure for informational videos, provide the main meat up front, then additional details thereafter that can enrich, broaden, and contextualize matters better
Evergreen videos seem to gradually gain prominence or views, but it’s maintainable: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewTubers/comments/17f71cz/ever_created_an_evergreen_video/
Key content planning suggestion for evergreen video content, like get right to answering the viewer’s question
Valuing old content, evergreen: https://www.reddit.com/r/NewTubers/comments/d4oqg4/evergreen_content_longterm_benefits/
Determining passive, baseline views and watch time to estimate when you might need to worry about monetization Likely use lowest traffic hours, multipled up to a full year to see if you’ll have the required 4000 watch hours Also determine baseline subscriber growth to determine possible passive attainment of 1000 subscribers for YPP
Zen Valedictorian => Zen YouTube Partner
Generally, people don’t come to the show to see you perform. They come for the experience, the performance. You’re a footnote. https://www.reddit.com/r/NewTubers/comments/17r27na/comment/k8hhnip/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
YT rss feed, any clue that person clicked in to a video via rss? Are video links tracked in Studio?
One thing that’s funny to me is that many big YouTube channels actually fail to implement things that would likely make themselves even more successful, like simply linking to relevant playlists in their video descriptions to drive traffic to videos their viewers would likely be interested in. They’re successful despite these things, leaving additional success on the table.
- Don’t just copy big channels, as many of them don’t fully do optimal things.
Content that’s in video format but less helpful/efficient as a result
Why are these essays videos? Why aren’t they written essays with video clips interspersed? Why? https://guymrdth.medium.com/when-video-essays-stop-being-essays-99ca36590566